Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Traditions In The Family 8/19/2014

Good Morning,

Tuesday hit the ground running and I seem to be a step behind. My coffee today is Door County Hawaiian Hazelnut. The day looks to be a little long. I was challenged to take the ACLS ice bath tonight. I wonder who I will issue the challenge to?

I don't know about your family but I know that many families have certain traditions that they love to keep. For some these are just age old family traditions or they come from ethnic backgrounds. For instance many families in the United States observe the Thanksgiving Holiday by eating a turkey dinner. Some families that I know of always go out and cut their own Christmas tree. To them this tradition is one they hope to pass on to their kids.

As a kid we always used to celebrate Christmas Eve with a big platter of Polish Sausage. It wouldn't be Christmas Eve without a mustard stain on my shirt. I still do that one and like the tradition.

What impresses me are the families that have created the tradition of gathering together for special occasions. Families grow up and move along. I really enjoy hearing about friends and their reunions.

 It seems today that the one tradition that gathers families are funerals. The new rage is to go up after the eulogy  and say something about the deceased. Sometimes the words are a comfort to those who are hurting. So there is value in the new tradition. But I think a better tradition is to eulogize each other while we are still here to listen to or express kind words to one another.

I think we could all start a new tradition by stating our love and admiration for those close to us while they are still alive.

Proverbs 16:24    
Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

Make a call, send a note do whatever it takes to make someone know how important they are to you.

God bless,

Marty.

No comments:

Post a Comment