Saturday, August 16, 2014

Scouting The Possibilities 8/16/2014

Good Morning,

My coffee cup is filled with Door County Cinnamon Hazelnut coffee today. I just placed my order for the Door County Company Fall Flavors. This is the best time of the year for me and coffee. The fall flavors then lead into the holiday flavors. I must hide some away this year or purchase more so I can treat myself to the fall and holiday flavors next summer. While hunting, I always carry a thermos of hot coffee with me. One never knows when bad weather will creep in and blow the ducks your way and you just have to stay out longer. Or you might just need to warm up if the canoe tips, especially if you are hunting with a guy named Todd McCall

Although it is Saturday I am still up early and will be headed out the door soon. Today I will be scouting out some areas to hunt during our annual duck hunting season. It is important to scout and know the areas in advance. How a particular piece of land looks on a summer day is not exactly what it is going to look like on a cold rainy fall morning at 3:AM.

I take notes and mark land points and distances on a piece of paper. There are several spots that I can walk or boat to blind folded just because I have been there many times. Yet even those spots change with a fallen tree down in the water. Each year I find something different even in my favorite old places. The scouting is important just to know where you are headed and to avoid any obstacles you can in the dark morning and early evenings.

But there is always that one unseen log that moved down river and is just waiting there to trip you up or tip the canoe. Then it is best to be prepared to stay warm, get up and out quick, and repair any small injuries that might have come along.

Life is the same way. We think we know the future and where we are headed but then out of nowhere something comes along to blindside us and cause us to stumble. We must always be aware of that ONE OBSTACLE that is out there. We must be prepared to avoid it and repair the damages when we run head on into it.

1 Peter 5:8 (AMP)

Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.

There are risks with duck hunting as well as with life. But the risks can be minimized just be being aware of the surroundings and proceeding with caution slowly into all phases of life. Nothing needs to be hurried through when it comes to avoiding mistakes.

That being said the hunt might be hard but can be very fruitful if we avoid calamity. Life is the same way. Tough times can come but do not need to be multiplied by falling for the devils traps.

Have a great weekend,

God bless.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment