Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Serving Two Masters 8/26/2014

Good Morning.



It has been hot and humid for the last four days. I am not sure what the weather will bring today. My travel mug is filled up with some Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee.

Duck hunting season will soon be here. I have been training the dog and myself a little more lately. I have always enjoyed each of my dogs and they have all been characters in one way or another. But Gibbs makes me laugh more than any of the other ones. Each of our dogs to say at the very least enjoyed food. Gibbs will actually jump around and prance when the dog food comes out. He really looks forward to those meals.
Gibbs also is one who has duck hunting on his mind like I do. I like to play with him and tease him a little. Just about meal time I will go to the gun safe and pull out a shot gun and place it by the door as if we are going to train or hunt. This sets Gibbs in motion. He runs to the door as if to say "Hey you aren't going without me". Then I slowly walk over and fill his dog dish and then the game begins. He runs to the dish and then to the door. He then runs back to the dish and takes a quick bite and then returns to the door while watching his dish. I then pick up my hat and gun and walk out. Gibbs must choose, food or traveling with the Master. Once that door closes I can hear the bark. I open the door and he comes flying out, wagging his tale. He chose the Master over filling his belly. He also knows that the Master has never let him go hungry. He trusts me to take care of him. He is praised and jumps into the truck. We train and then go home. When he gets home I add a scrambled egg to his dog food as a reward for a good job.

Luke 16:13 CSB
Holman Christian Standard
No household slave can be the slave of two masters, since either he will hate one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You can't be slaves to both God and money.

In this verse, Jesus moves on to the human will, telling us that it is impossible to give full allegiance to more than one entity, whether it be a family member, a boss, a cause, or even football teams! As He says, one of them will always be slighted in some way. One's true loyalty will soon be revealed when circumstances conspire to force a choice between them. At the fish-or-cut-bait moment, we will choose to give our time and attention to the one that we really love, and the other we will "hate" by comparison.

You can tell who and what you love when that inevitable choice comes. You are as close to God as you choose to be. Trust our Heavenly Master.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment