Wednesday, February 22, 2023

It Takes Some Patience And Prayer To Travel 2/22/2023

 Good Morning, 

I am comfortable at my desk with a hot cup of Door County Jamaican Me Crazy Coffee at my side and two Springer Spaniels watching my every move. It is time to write. 

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but by everything in prayer and supplication let  your requests with thanksgiving be made known to God. 

  

I took a short trip recently to the State of Georgia for some training. I can't say enough good things about the training itself and the people I was with. The accommodations, food and atmosphere were all knit into one great experience. 

In order to get there it was necessary for me to purchase a plane ticket and rely on others for ground transportation. The flight down to my destination went without a hitch at all. The shuttle from the airport to the training center went flawlessly. 

Coming home was a different story. Now my experience was not as bad as some of the airline fiascos that have occurred lately but none the less I had my "well of patience'" tested. You know you are headed for a test when you arrive on time to the airport and the line for a security check was well beyond it's normal boundaries. I said goodbye to my daughter and grandson, hugged and took a photo. I checked my luggage and with boarding pass in hand I was paraded through the long weaving lines of security. While walking through the detector after I had been sniffed by dogs, of course the alarm went off. I was frisked and gone over with a wand. I explained the metal in my body and all seemed well. But my back pack was getting a look see and my watch was the object of attention. For what? I will never know. I was still somewhat ok with time and after redressing myself I headed for my gate. I checked the monitor and the flight was on time and off I went. After navigating my way to the gate I looked up to see that my departure gate had changed. My phone was also letting me know via text messaging that there was a gate change and a delay. I retraced my steps and headed to the next gate. The delay afforded me an hour more of wait time and that gave me a chance to grab a bite to eat. I went to a small place where you could actually sit and be waited on. I was seated and waited on immediately. My food was on it's way. 45 minutes later, still without food or something to drink, my phone went bananas and the plane was boarding earlier than expected. I had to leave, and asked if the food was ready and could it be packed to go. There was a very sincere apology from the server as she explained that my order was just started and to be honest had been lost in the shuffle. I had to leave, but was told that since the food was started I needed to pay for it even though I would not be receiving it. I did pay, and left a tip as she seemed run hard and ragged. I told her to take the meal, home and enjoy it. I smiled and left. As I was boarding the plane  I was rushed and smushed along. I had decided that this was a test and I was going to pass it with flying colors. I was seated next to a couple of nice people and thought that my trial was over. Then came the announcement that there would be a small delay due to some maintenance on the airplane. It was only fifteen minutes more and the flight was on it's way. The Coke and complimentary cookies held me over until I reached home. I was still having visions of a California style chicken sandwich. 

Now if you read this from beginning to end, what was missing? Did you read anywhere where I stopped before leaving to pray about this trip home? Nope. I did have prayer time Monday and prayed for many people and different things. I never stopped in the airport to pray about my situation. Myself took over and I worked hard to solve things on my own, which was futile at best. Shame on me. I have some friends heading out on Thursday for a mission trip destination. You can bet I will be praying for their travels. As the man who preaches prayer, prayer, prayer and more prayer, I failed to practice what I preach. I don't know if my prayer would have made the cluster bump not be there, but I would have also asked for God to calm an anxious heart. I think my stress level would have been less, and I would have listened to Him as I was walking into the bistro and I would have turned around and had a burger My Way! Believe it or not, I had a small voice telling me to go elsewhere to eat. I was not in tune with God. 

Don't do as I did, but do as I say!!! 

Marty

2 comments: