Monday, February 6, 2023

Going Against The Grain. 2/6/2023

 Good Morning

My day began late and I am writing while sitting at my desk with a hot cup of Door County Blueberry Coffee. 

My mind is filled with too much this morning and I hope to file away some of those things permanently today. 

Colossians 3:13 Bearing with one another, if one has a complaint with another, forgiving each other, as the Lord has forgiven you, so you must also forgive. 

Old piece before finishing. 

New piece, refinished and repurposed as a robe hanger. 

I like to watch my wife shop for antiques. She is very methodical as she walks through small or large stores. I know through experience that she has several things she might be looking for and some of those things might be used again. She finds a new use for old things! It is called "repurposing". Now and then the repurposing involves me assembling this item that has been given new life, or in some instances I work on it to make it look like new. 

My wood working skills are very limited and my workspace is also limited by weather. In refinishing an antique I have learned that while sanding the wood or applying a new finish it is always best to go with grain of the wood and not against the grain. The application of the finish needs to be consistent on the whole project and most of the time, if not always the project turns out very well.

This work is tedious and requires patience. We can apply this thought to our marriages, children, and other relationships. Patience and consistency are needed in our relationships with our families, spouses and friends.  Relationships take work and many times we will experience the fact that someone has "rubbed us the wrong way". Blowing up and walking away adds to the chance that an infraction now becomes a big deal and has stained the hearts of yourself and the other party. This blemish in the wood of the relationship, might then need a lot of sanding to get things back to being a good experience by all.  Going against the grain of forgiveness and love makes things worse. Being able to sit down, pray and talk things over is like going with the grain of the wood. It leads to a happier outcome and a stronger relationship. 

Food for thought. 

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment