Friday, October 28, 2022

Poor Man's Roses 10/28/2022

 Good Morning,

I am waiting until later to have a hot cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee and a couple of small oranges to go with the coffee. It is time to write. 

It's not as often as I should that I will stop and purchase some fresh flowers and bring them home to Rene my wife. I try to do that on special occasions and now and then for no reason at all. The other day I was able to surprise her with a few carnations. 

Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 

The act of purchasing the flowers was one to remember. As I picked out six fresh ones and took them to the stand to have them wrapped for protection from the weather the attendant of the flower stand looked at them and said "these are some very beautiful poor man's roses". Suddenly feeling poor and cheap at the same time I must have had a puzzled look on my face. She went on to explain that her husband would always bring her some carnations now and then and call them "poor man's roses." She also explained to me that he had passed away a few years ago and just seeing me pick out the carnations reminded her of the times he gifted her with flowers. 

"I can still see his face smiling at me when he would bring home that surprise." I smiled and agreed that I  knew my wife will just like the thought of me bringing home some flowers. I was right in my assumption. Back to the lady at the flower stand.  " Although they were never roses and he really couldn't afford to give me roses, those carnations meant the world to me. They were worth more to my heart than all the roses in the world". 

So guys small actions say a lot to your spouses when given from the heart. If you can give roses, do so. If you can't, a few carnations will do. It's your heart she wants and to wrap it in a symbol of a few flowers says a lot about your feelings, One last quote from the flower attendant. "What I wouldn't give to see his smile and 6 carnations coming through the door."

Have a great day. And fellas, make sure to appreciate your spouse with something that makes you look like a rose.

Marty

1 comment: