Sunday, October 16, 2022

Glad That Heat Rises 10/16/2022

 Good Morning,

A larger than normal mug was just filled with Door County Country Morning Blend Coffee and it is super hot. 


Mark 1:35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went to a solitary place, where He prayed. 

The house is cold and there is a chill in the air. The outdoor temperature is colder than normal. I am sitting in our second story den and the fireplace below has a small fire burning in it. The den will soon be the warmest place in the house as the heat rises to the upper portions of the building. In our den I am surrounded by books, taxidermized animals, photos and antiques. There are a few ribbons that our dogs have won in competition hanging next to me and the den is furnished with an antique desk and chair. A 1929 cedar chest is next to me filled with photographs logged into books. Inside are some antiquated high school year books, 

The den is a place that will often find me at work for the part time job I have, studying, and writing my daily blog. For me, it seems to be the best place to unwind, or launch my day with a hot cup of coffee. It is a den of prayer and thought. I spend time here every day. I find the quiet of the morning, adds to the peace and solitude that I seem to need daily. There is a great view of our back yard that allows me to watch the sun come up and I can tell the time of the year just by watching the trees from the window. 

So as I am writing today the heat from the fireplace is making it's way to the upstairs. When we laid out the plans for our home before we built this place, we had a choice to make. This room could have been an additional bedroom and that would have been nice. But for some reason we chose to make it a den. Little did I know that I would start every day here and I would always be warm first. 

My point is this. I have a place to go, and pray, study, work and commune with God. Decisions are born here and are seen through here. It is as quiet as I like it to be. 

Friends and family, we all need a place to go and spend time alone with God. I am blessed to have this den. You might like another room in your home, or due to necessity  the kitchen is the "do all room". But find a place where the heat rises to meet your cold body, the coffee is hot and put something on the wall that is a fond memory. Make it a place of prayer and enjoy time spent there. You might find that even during the most stressful days, the mini retreat you give yourself are easier to bear when you are in a place that has also celebrated victories. 

Have a great and peaceful day. Enjoy some solitude if at all possible.  

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment