Tuesday, October 25, 2022

I Can Make It On My Own. Famous Last Words10/25/2022

 Good Morning,

A hot mug of Door County Highlander Grog is keeping me company this morning. It is time for me to write.

Many a person will find themselves distraught and full of anxiety sometime in their lives. During that time, they run to God for help. They cannot attend enough group sessions or Bible studies to satisfy their hurting souls. I have seen it before. When the lights turn on at church they are their. They purchase some new books and are all gung ho. 

They enter into a game of Let's Make A Deal with God. There is something they want and desire from God. It could be they desire for God to change someone else's heart and feelings toward them. So they put on their "I Love Jesus" shirts and get sore arms from carrying all those books.  They read and read yet nothing sinks in and when they don't get what they want they "take a break" from God and their church.

You see, they have come to God with ulterior motives. I see the once exuberant and at times obnoxious folks walk away from the One who can fill every void and give them peace. They have decided that since they put in the hours they should get what they want. What they should want is more of God. 

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. 

I believe that Psalm 37:4 is often misunderstood. When we delight in the Lord HE BECOMES THE DESIRE OF OUR HEARTS. The more we want of God, the more He gives of himself to us. This isn't a booth of bartering and exchange of righteousness for a gift.

Proverbs 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes. but God weighs the heart. 

God does know each heart and the motives for us running to Him. We must never bring God down to our level and then try to wheel and deal with Him. It is not a good idea to make a vow to God and not keep it. 

Ecclesiastes 5:4-5When you make a vow to God do not delay in paying it, for he has no pleasure in fools.  Pay what you vow. It is better that you not vow, than to vow and not pay.

So before you run off into a corner and say "I will go it on my own." Remember that it might be your actions that got you into a mess. Do you really want to follow you again?

Food for thought.

Marty


2 comments:

  1. I know that following me doesn't work, to many times I have hopelessly lost my way.

    ReplyDelete