Thursday, January 9, 2020

Modern Idolatry 1/9/2019

Good Morning,

I just came inside from the cold and I literally armed myself with a cup of Door County Jingle Bell Java Coffee. I plan on attacking the chill in my bones with a massive cup of that delicious brew.



I was reading in my Bible about idolatry and I wasn't surprised to find many verses on the subject. The more I studied the more it became apparent that God knows His creations very well. The Bible warns, and scolds against man's inherent desire to be worshiped. We are advised to die to self. Dying to self  is part of being born again. The old self dies and the new self comes to life ( John 3:3-7) 
As a matter of fact most forms of modern idolatry have self at the center of their core. We see this in our desire for stuff. This materialism idol pushes us to bigger houses, newer cars and other purchases that have a built in obsolescence. We don't stop purchasing stuff. This is the idol of self indulgences. 

Then there is the altar of pride and ego. On this altar we sacrifice our willingness to be teachable. We know everything and often our pride gets in the way of a learning moment. Once we "know every thing" we become consumed with ourselves which often leads to overwork and trying to advance further in life. 

There might be less actual idol (statue) type people, but I believe we we have more ego worshipers filled with pride than ever before.

So my friends, I have uncovered for us the sin of ego and self. Here is what God has to say about it.

1 Peter 5;5 Likewise you who are younger , be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves all of you, with humility to one another, for God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble.

Maybe today we all take a big drink of humble juice and come down off of the pedestals we perch on.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment