Sunday, May 1, 2016

Why I Read My Bible. 5-1-2016

Good Morning,

My view from the loft in our home shows a rainy day with dark clouds. My den sits within the loft and I am surrounded by memories on the walls. There are photos, hunting trophies, one wall is covered in books. My desk is a memory of hard work and love. My Door County Highlander Grog Coffee that fills my favorite mug is a memory. The radio is turned on and an Old Southern Preacher full of fire and brimstone is delivering a message.  So despite the weather, I am content and today quiet and my Bible is open.



Did you know that after all these years the Bible is still the number one selling book?  I don't find that hard to believe. It has been banned in many places including schools, but it is a survivor and always will be.

Isaiah 40:6-8

A voice says, “Cry out.”
    And I said, “What shall I cry?”
“All people are like grass,
    and all their faithfulness is like the flowers of the field.
The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    because the breath of the Lord blows on them.
    Surely the people are grass.
The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    but the word of our God endures forever.

All of you know that I am a duck hunter and as most duck hunters do, I have my hunting buddies. They all come from different walks in life. But they are as tough as nails when it comes to pursuing our passion for waterfowl. Here's one thing about them that you might not have counted on. They read their Bibles faithfully. Now those younger ones read theirs electronically That's not my style, but to each their own. You could walk up to anyone of those guys and insult them for reading the Word of God and they would smile at you, walk away and pray for you. But I can vouch for them, they are rough and tough, God has tenderized their hearts to be men of compassion.

Last night some of my co-workers and I laid to rest a fella we worked with for over thirty years. After the funeral service some of us went for a bite to eat. We were trying to be jovial and lighthearted but the pain of the funeral was still fresh. When I went home, I needed to be left alone and Rene knew that I just needed to grieve. I am not much for tears. I just needed some time. It  wasn't but a few minutes into some quiet time that I reached for my Bible and went to some of my dearest pages for comfort and found it in God's Word.  Only minutes later another friend of mine texted me looking for chapters to read to his brother who will be taken off of life support today. I was happy to share some passages with Him.

The Bible is so much more than just words of comfort. It contains instructions for life, power to change hearts, promises of the future, correction, and page after page of love.

So I believe the Bible Is the Inspired Word Of God and I go there for words of life, love, correction and comfort. Ask me why I read my Bible and I will tell you this. It has never let me down.

God bless,

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment