Sunday, May 29, 2016

How Do You Measure? 5/29/2016

Good Morning,

It is a little damp at the picnic table this morning. Heavy rains came last night and watered the Earth for us. Although cool in temperature out here, the sunrise I watched this morning from the arena of our own yard was worth braving the dampness  and the cool breeze. My mug of Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee just adds more to this setting of peace and tranquility

In my brief case I carry a 12 inch stick ruler. I have had that ruler with me for close to thirty years. It's good for a measuring small items to draw things to scale. On one side it has a metal edge that stays straight. I very often use it to make a quick sketch for project planning.



My ruler has other purposes also. When I look at it the ruler reminds me of the "golden rule".

Matthew 7:12New Living Translation (NLT)

The Golden Rule

12 “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.
 
The second purpose, is that it reminds me not to judge others. We often judge others and we forget that as we judge, we shall also be judged. We are quick to jump to conclusions, and slow to jump to prayer.

Matthew 7:2English Standard Version (ESV)
For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

The third purpose found in my ruler is the metal straight edge. It is tried and true and always delivers a straight line. It reminds me to keep my life straight and always walk with God.

Proverbs 4:26New Living Translation (NLT)
26 Mark out a straight path for your feet;
    stay on the safe path
 
The last purpose of this implement of work is to remind me of who my Ruler is. And who is the Ruler of all.
 
Second Chronicles 20:6 “O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not God in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. In your hand are power and might, so that none is able to withstand you.”

This old ruler has become like my pocket knife. It has been with me a ling time. While many whip out sketches quickly on a computer, this old guy whips out a pencil and a straight edge. I can perform the duties on a computer but when it doesn't matter, I break out my pencil and my ruler. They see and old guy working with aged implements. I see more!

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment