Monday, May 9, 2016

Please And Thank You. Gone But Not Forgotten 5/9/2016

Good Morning,

Home from our vacation and headed to work this morning. I am glad to be drinking some Door County Cinnamon Biscotti Coffee to help me keep the vacation memories alive.



Today my ramblings will be short and probably not too sweet at all. Over the last few days I have been in a position to hold open doors as people entered or exited some establishments we visited. Rene always says thank you when I get the door for her. I can't say that about for around 60% of the others.

Last night we were dining out and our waitress asked if she could fill my water glass for the third time. I answered yes please and thanked her. She checked on us several times during our meal. However not far from us I watched a table that was somewhat louder and they would catch the eye of the waitress ans just point to their coffee cups or their empty bottles. She would hustle for another refill of their beverages, but not one thank you did I hear.

I am not the tallest guy around but I can be extended with a chair. While down by the pool yesterday a mom and two children were enjoying some early morning splash time. Both kids had helium balloons with them. I assumed that balloons were sent to mom for mothers day and as all good moms would do she gave each child one to play with. The balloons were tied to a table leg for safe keeping. As with any helium filled balloon and any kid, one balloon ended up released to the ceiling by accident, causing an outburst of tears from the oldest child. Fortunately the ceiling where the balloon escaped to was not very high. It was however out of reach for this little dude and I would need a chair extension to get it. Mom had her hands full with a two year old who needed to be attended near the water. I asked this ( assumed to be around five year old) if he would like for me to retrieve his balloon. He replied "yes". I erected my balloon lift and retrieved the balloon, tied it lightly to his wrist and walked toward my towel so I could leave.

Mom now commented finally and said "come on kids we have to leave soon". No thank you came my way. I did not need a thank you, nor did I retrieve the balloon wanting a thank you. I kept waiting for the mom to remind the child to say please and thank you. I walked away assuming she had never been to first grade in school where they taught manners.

Good manners seem to have gone by the wayside these days. And we wonder where all the troubles come from. We need to get back to basics.

Manners were God's idea first. He gave us the Golden Rule in Matthew 7:12: Do to others what you would have them do to you. Jesus set the perfect example for us when He washed the disciples' feet in John 3:3-5. He was Christ the King, but He humbled himself to serve others.
In Deuteronomy 32:46-47, we are commanded to teach our children the do's and don'ts of proper conduct. The first and best way to do that is by being good role models. Our children will imitate us whether our actions are good or bad. As parents we should model good behavior by doing kind things for others. Social skills learned at home can produce fruits of the Spirit '…love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." (Galatians 5:22) Interpersonal skills such as listening, opening doors, saying please, thank you, you're welcome, and sharing with others reveal the good manners in our heart.
Rules of etiquette are in our head. Our manners are in our heart.

Have a great day please!

Marty


1 comment: