Friday, November 21, 2014

Rescue Sleds 11/21/2014

Good Morning,

Friday at last. We are looking forward to a visit from our grandson today. I will be watching the clock all day until we head to the airport.
My coffee this morning is extra hot and very much needed for warmth. I am enjoying a big cup of Door County Cherry Crème.

Yesterday at work we practiced emergency stair evacuations in the hospital using rescue sleds designed to slide people down stairwells using straps and clips. I asked for volunteers to be placed on the sleds so we could practice. I have to tell you that not everyone wanted to volunteer. But a few brave souls raised their hands so their co-workers could practice the process. This is a process that I hope no one ever has to do. The staff performed well but this would be a last resort to save lives in a catastrophe like a fire or tornado.

Now our volunteers were brave but yet you could see a little fear and doubt in their eyes as they were lowered down the stairs by people smaller than them. It all went well and the practice drill was perfect. When the drill was completed they admitted their fears, but said once they were on a flat landing (solid ground) their fears were gone. They disliked not having control of the situation and being strapped into a sled going down the stairs.

Isn't life like that also? Now and then life sends something our way that takes us right off of our feet. We fear the worst and can see no hope for the future. But like our volunteers, we look for a landing that is solid and reliable to calm and take away our fears.

Friends, we always have a rock that we can lean on when life sends us on a slippery slope of fear and doubt. Jesus is that rock who we can give our fears to. He holds the straps of our sleds in life.

Psalm 18:2New Living Translation (NLT)
The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
    my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the power that saves me,
    and my place of safety.
 
Trust Him today. It makes that slide easier to handle.
 
God bless,
Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment