Monday, December 11, 2023

Favorite Christmas Gift 12/11/2023

 Good Morning,

The day began with a hot cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee and it is time to write.

I have so many fond memories of Christmas Past  and I could make a list of gifts that I have been given over time that made my heart feel special and light. 

Proverbs 11:25 Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. 

One memory I recall goes back to 1979 and our daughter was just one year old at Christmas. By this time she was moving about pretty well and jabbering even better. We had a modest Christmas and most of it revolved around our toddler and family. We had  an end table and it had a candy dish filled with Hershey Kisses. The candy was accessible to the little lady. The lesson was to have her ask for things and not just to take them.  They were wrapped in holiday colors. I said that our daughter was jabbering a pretty good amount of words at this time, which in reality only her mom understood. I was a foreigner to toddler gibberish. But I could understand the "Wee Ones heart. She never bothered that table without asking for a chocolate first. If the answer was no, she accepted the answer with a pouty lip, but left the candy alone. This particular Christmas day our child reached into the dish and took two chocolate candies into her hand. She crawled over to me and then sat on the floor. I picked her up thinking she wanted me to unwrap a chocolate for her. Being the easy going dad and that it was Christmas I obliged her simple plan and there wasn't any scolding.  But that was not the plan. I gave her the chocolate and she proceeded to try and put it in my mouth. I was simply known as Da Da then and she would say Da Da and try to give me the chocolate. I let her place it into my mouth and she smiled and handed me the second one. I unwrapped it and she popped that one into her own little mouth. I can still see that smile. 

Every year since then when I purchase some candy for Christmas I recall the first gift our daughter gave to me and the pureness of the thought. I bet you can't figure out what candy I purchase?

God bless,

Marty 

1 comment: