Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Oil Those Boots Boy! 1/25/2023

 Good Morning,

I am letting my body have enough time to adjust to the morning. Nothing is moving too fast today and it is allowing me time to enjoy my cup of Door County Christmas Coffee. I have just about finished off all of my Christmas flavors. Waste not want not. 

Job 32:7 I said, "Let days speak and many years teach wisdom." 


Yesterday My wife Rene and I spent the day together looking through antique shops and then having lunch together in a small mom and pop restaurant. On the way home we stopped to look at a new pair of work boots for me. I am needing to retire a pair that I purchased about ten years ago. They have been repaired twice and have been worn out. The boots served me well and I have no complaints. 

The boot shopping wasn't a difficult task at all. I looked at three different pairs of boots, tried them on and an easy decision was made as to which pair would be going home with us. 

A lesson learned a long time ago will be applied today. I used to stay with my grand parents during the summers in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Each summer my grandfather would take me to JC Penny's store about 55 miles away and he would purchase some new leather boots for me to wear while fishing, trapping bait and for other chores. I recall the first pair and the last pair purchased. At that time a growing boy had to replace boots annually. I was ready to wear that first pair immediately after coming home. I was stopped dead in my tracks from dong so. It was a very hot day and the boots were set on the porch and out came two chairs. I knew a lesson on life was coming and it might take awhile. 

Grandpa reminded me that the boots were expensive and that I should always try to purchase quality items.  Then he said, "these boots have to last you until next year. " Then I saw some rags, a bottle of leather preservative and an old tooth brush. He showed me how to apply the oil and work it into the sewn seams on the boots. I was then told to leave them in the sun to dry and how in the winter time you could place them in the oven with just enough heat to dry them and apply coats of preservative as needed. 

The next step was for me to do this for three days straight after the initial oiling. The boots were not to be worn until all three applications were finished. "Your boots will last longer and one should always take care of the things they purchase." I have never forgotten that lesson and today I will apply coat one of the same oil to the new boots and then reapply two more coats for the next two days. My wife frowns on using the oven for anything but food, so the fireplace will be my boot dryer. 

I did not really just want to write about boot care today. I learned that lesson 56 years ago and have used the lesson with many pairs of boots throughout the years. All of my boots lasted longer than most would expect them to,  The lesson for today is to remind us to teach our kids and grandkids lessons of value that they can pass on for generations. 

During the lessons always include the why and the cost of not following through. This lesson opened my eyes to my surroundings a little more. One day I woke up very early on one fall Saturday. I saw my dad at the table with my boots and his. He was applying preservative to both pairs. It finally dawned on me that we had both been trained by the same guy. I never really paid attention to what things went on at home until that day.  Pass on what you know and enjoy time just preserving your boots!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment