Saturday, January 14, 2023

Never Too Old To Learn 1/14/2023

 Good Morning,

The list of chores is a long one today and so I will enjoy a little time with my cup of Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee and start writing.

Hebrews 4:12 Fir the Word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

My mother in law is 95 years old and now resides in an assisted living home. She is very gifted when it comes to crocheting things. Although she is a lot slower at it than she used to be, she stays busy  working on her yarn goods. Currently she is working on several projects a little at a time and last week she showed me the progress on a few of them. They are perfectly done and she hasn't slipped in her accuracy. 

She also likes to play cards and very often her kids will sit down and play cards with her for a hour or so. I for one do not like games and especially playing card games. But now and then I enjoy watching them play. Last week while visiting, Mother told us that some of the residents where she lives taught her a new card game and she really liked it. I zeroed in on one comment  she made. "You are never too old to learn something new". I told her that is just how I feel about my Bible studies. There is always something new that God is teaching me when I open His Word and seek to know more about Him. 

I will always be amazed at how I can read a passage, study it, many times throughout the years and then have it be enlightened later in life. I never gave it much thought until now. In the book of Acts the New Testament Church grew during adversity and through it. Due to persecution people fled in many directions taking their faith and the Word of God with them. I never thought of it that way while reading and studying my Bible. I just always concentrated on the persecution and thought that the lesson was just to be prepared and learn to endure. Now I see how God used the bad and ugly for good. How I missed that all these years I will never know. But, you are never too old to learn and you should never stop learning new things. 

Stretch yourself a little and commit to learning new things this year. Dust off that Bible and purchase a study guide or commentary and open your heart to a new lesson or two. I was taught a lesson from a 95 year old lady!

Have a great day!!

Marty


2 comments: