Tuesday, August 30, 2022

We Really Cannot Justify Our Tongues 8/29/2022

 Good Morning,

I pray you all slept well last night and I hope you have a decent cup of coffee for your wake up call today. I can hear the Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee brewing in the kitchen as I write. 

When I was coaching Little League Baseball many years ago, I used to throw the batting practice pitches. Now some of these kids were not very big and to throw a strike in that small window wasn't easy. We did not throw very fast to the kids, but it wasn't a lollipop kind of pitch either. Now and then as hard as we tried, a pitch would be off target and a kid would get popped with a pitch. It was a complete accident and it just happened. 

I am not so sure that anything that comes from our mouths is ever an accident.  Unlike our pitches to the kids, I can honestly say that now and then our aim and our arms let us down. But the words that come out of our mouths are conceived in our minds and actually live within our hearts. There could be plenty of reasons for someone to be hurt, angry, or confused at times. Yet we own our response and once it leaves our mouths it has a life of it's own. Your speech is never an accident. 

Here are three thoughts to ponder on controlling our speech.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person. 

Matthew 12:37 for by your words you will be justified and by your own words you will be condemned.

Matthew 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgement, people will give account for every careless word they speak. 

Romans 12:17-18 Do not repay evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right before all people. 

As I write this daily blog, I can tell you that it isn't always written for others. Many a day goes by that the message was written for me to ponder as well.  

Food for thought,

Marty

2 comments: