Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Good Call Mom 8/17/20022

 Good Morning,

Another day, another cup of Door County Cream Coffee and now it is time to write. 

Some harvesting of our garden and apple trees began a couple weeks ago. I have been drying or if you want to say it this way dehydrating some fruit and vegetables. I found a deal on mangos last week and threw one in the food dryer yesterday. The results were so good that I will be drying more this weekend. 

Leviticus 19:32 You  shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of the old, and you shall fear your God.

My wife Rene and I started drying a few things three years ago. Although we have owned the food dryer for about twenty years. It was Christmas gift from my parents one year. I looked at it and said thank you, but later said to my wife. "Just what we need, something else that will chew up more of my time and I will feel obligated to use it". Well, a few years ago we started to thin out the shelves in our home and rid ourselves of small appliances on the shelf that weren't being used. We actually had three popcorn makers and a plenty of George Foreman Grills.  On the back of the shelf and hidden in a corner was the food dryer, never used and in the original box. Rene, thought that it would sell fast for a dollar or two in a rummage sale. To our surprise, it did not sell at all and we couldn't even give it away. 

I took it back to the basement and thought about it for awhile. I decided that it would be a shame to not have used it at all. So I unboxed it and washed it up. I read the directions and decided to dry some peppers and apple slices. To be very honest, they turned out so well that before I new it I had dried enough veggies and fruit to hold us through the fall and some of the winter, 

So here I am to say to the world "Mother knew best". She used to ask me if I used the dryer and I didn't lie to her. I would just say "some day Mom, some day! This fall, when I am munching on some apple chips in a cold duck blind I will remember my mother and her advice, "Eat dried fruit it will help you poop." If I have to hang my butt out over the side of my boat I will laugh and say "Mom had the last laugh, But my advice to all. No matter their age, they are your parents and you can learn from them right up to the end. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment