Monday, August 29, 2022

One Hand In The Fire 8/29/2022

 Good Morning,

The weekend blew by so fast I think I missed it. But Monday is here and I have some work to do today. So it's time to drink some Door County Cherry Creme Coffee and write down some thoughts before I head out. 

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 

James 1:14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 

I think it is fair to say that we can all agree that a fire is hot and it can burn you. A fire that is out of control can consume everything in it's way. I have never experienced bad burns but I have been burned just enough to know that I need to be careful around fire. 

The analogy that I want to make today is to compare life choices to fire. So for instance, I do believe the highway authorities do a pretty good job of posting the speed limits on the roads so we can beware of what is safe and legal. So when we travel over the speed limit we are running the risk, of being caught and fined or worse we could cause an accident and we or someone else could be injured due to our neglect. You could say that our choice to speed is like having one hand in the fire.

Another example is for an alcoholic to try and just drink socially and assume that they won't binge drink and cause a lot of trouble. You could possibly say that the wine at dinner for an alcoholic is like having one hand in the fire. Like a warm fire at night it draws you closer to the warmth, but before you know it your knickers are burning because you experienced the fire too closely.

Only you know what temptations are there that can burn you. You have yours and I have mine. But God knows as well. In His Word he advises us to flee from temptation. Never once have I read where God would advise us to stick around and see how much temptation we can withstand without having it pull us fully into failure. Keep your hands out of the fire. 

Food for thought. 

Marty


2 comments: