Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Warmth Of The Kitchen 10/6/2021

 Good Morning,

I just ended the lack of Door County Coffee this morning. I am brewing a hot pot of their Irish Creme flavor and it is going way too slow for me. 

Isaiah 55:2 Why spend money on what is not bread and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good and you will d3light in the richest of fare. 

This morning I am writing from the kitchen instead of sitting in my den. When I think of our kitchen from my childhood years I recall it as being more than a place to cook and eat. Most business, like school permission notes were written there and I can remember my dad writing checks at the table for the monthly bills. You ate your birthday cake there and school report cards were discussed at the kitchen table. Discipline was measured out in the kitchen also. The table was used by my sister and me as a desk for homework. More people smoked cigarettes back then and the kitchen was often the coffee shop and the smoking parlor. 

I often wonder this. If God had a kitchen what would he serve up? I believe God prepares each day and the day serves things for us to experience a grow by. My mother made the best chicken and dumplings and I could eat them in a heartbeat. They were great. But a steady diet of dumplings was not going to be had. Mom balanced out the family diet with other things that might have been good for us yet they certainly weren't my favorites. There were those broccoli days and I still do not like to eat broccoli. Just not my favorite thing to eat. 

If God were to serve us chicken and dumpling kind of days all the time, we might not ever experience spiritual growth. It is the days of broccoli and turnips ( flat tires, vomiting children, illnesses, or other calamity) that cause us to pause, look up and pray for help. We need to plow through those days of strife and learn what we can from the lesson of the moment. If every day were chicken and dumplings kind of days, we would become self satisfied and not need God.  It is our own human nature to call on Him less when things are good. We reach out to Him when the day brings a big helping of broccoli and we can't handle the stress and strife. 

So today if you are faced with a plate of issues, look up, and reach out to God for help. If today finds you facing a plate full of blessings, look up and reach out to God just to say thank you.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment