Saturday, October 9, 2021

Forever Young 10/9/2021

 Good Morning,

This day started late for me and it felt good to get some extra sleep. When I arise after 5AM I sometimes feel like I am late for school or work. This was not the case today. I am enjoying a large cup of Door County  Wisconsin Harvest Blend Coffee and a biscuit as I write.

Philippians 1:3 I thank God upon every remembrance of you.

My parents have been gone now for a few years and when I recall them and enjoy a memory or two it seems that I picture them in their forties. I do the same with my aunts and uncles. I picture my grandparents in their early sixties. My memory takes me back to when the clan was at it's fullest, healthiest and happiest. For my cousins and myself all the parents are gone, grandparents as well and now with age some of the cousins are gone. 

I am not trying to be morbid this morning, so here is the point. When I stop and have a memory I will forever see the clan as young. One of my cousins used to drive a red Volkswagen Beetle back in the day. She was and still is a happy go lucky person. But when I think of her I see the kid and her Volkswagen, not the grandma who lives on the corner of  a street I rode my bicycle down. 

My point is this today. I miss those days and the people associated with them. It is a shock when I see my cousins and they look old. I look in the mirror and I ask that guy if he knows where Marty is. 

I can't go to the lake for a reunion and see my parents, or my aunts and uncles in their prime anymore. Yes we all grow old, but as long as we have or memories we can go back for a visit to times when people were still with us and that way they are forever young. I do however say this. Don't let memories be your constant companion. Whether you like it or not, we are still building memories for our children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Be a part of their lives. Show up and enjoy the party! One day, they too will be remembering you. Let them enjoy the happy moments you shared. Not the last one of your hospital bed.  Live large and be forever young in their minds.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment