Monday, October 25, 2021

An Eternal Perspective 10/25/2021

 Good Morning,

I always look forward to writing a small bit of something to all of you in the morning. As I sit here and think, I have a cup of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee next to me. 

I have heard mentors and preachers say to me, early in my walk with God that I needed to develop an Eternal Perspective. They never really nailed it down for me. As I grow older I have begun to ponder that thought more and more. I found the answer for me.  

This is not my home. I am just passing through. Hebrews 13:14 This world is not my home, I am just passing through. Although I am here for now, I look forward to an eternal home. Philippians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it, we await a Savior, Jesus Christ Our Lord.

So, my quest is to look at things with an eternal perspective, I want to try and act like I know where I am going. I want to be able to elevate my gaze from earthly trivialities to true eternal principals of life. To do this we need to drown or saturate ourselves in Scripture. We need to look no further than Jesus who modeled, daily devotion to the Word of God.  He even used the sword of the Word in battle with Satan and his temptations. He had mined, meditated and put to memory Scripture. 

Then we begin to view this world with an eye on eternity. But we need more, so then when we focus on the needs of others and we take our eyes off of ourselves.  Jesus sacrificed Himself for the sins of the world.  At the judgement, those who fed the hungry, gave drink to the thirsty, clothed those needing clothes, and cared for the sick will be rewarded. 

In the quest to develop an eternal perspective I found the need to withdraw from time to time to quiet places away from the battle for my attention and pray.  Jesus also modeled this behavior. Luke 5:16 Jesus would withdraw to desolate places and pray.

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth. where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Some deep thoughts for a Monday. I guess life is how you look at it. 

God bless,

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment