Monday, November 16, 2020

Deer Season. It's More Than A Hunt 11/16/2020

 Good Morning,

This morning I was greeted with the aroma of Door County Caramel Apple Coffee, and two dogs who wanted to be fed. What a way to wake up!

Isaiah 40:31 But they who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up like wings of eagles, they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.



It was just a few years ago that I quit hunting deer and tried it again last year for a couple of days. If I could be true to my old self once more I would be in Michigan's Upper Peninsula hunting with my Dad. I would be sitting in the woods right now writing to all of you from my phone. Looking at the temperatures up there it would be fairly cold this morning. I would already have one day into the hunt if I hadn't been blessed with a deer on opening day. As usual, once the blog was written I would pour myself a hot cup of coffee, pull out two cookies from my bag and start praying from my prayer list of people and issues to pray for. Eventually I would decide whether or not to go in for lunch or stay out all day. It all depended on how cold I would be. By 3 PM my mind would wander to what we might be dining on for dinner. We usually celebrated deer season with one night of prime rib or large ribeye steaks. The second day usually was chili and tacos. Writing this brings back some very fond memories. Dad always went in a little earlier to stoke the fire up. When I pulled into the driveway I could smell the hardwood fire. We were usually blessed to not have to hunt too many days in a row without shooting some deer. 

Friends it wasn't the taste of venison that drove me to hunt. Nor was it the thrill of shooting a deer. It was the other things, like Mom's bread rolls. Falling asleep by 8PM on the floor, just exhausted from the day. Seeing my folks and the look of pride on my mothers face when she shot a deer with my wife holding her next bullet. (We only let her load one bullet at a time) She couldn't wait for us to come in from the woods so we could go get hers and drag it in. She shot the biggest deer that year and she let us guys know about it. 

Those were great times and can't be repeated. I sit here writing and my eyes are wet. I am grateful for those days and am truly a blessed man. So today if you are quarantined or observing a no travel break. Pull out some old pictures and let your mind walk you down memory lane. Look up and thank God for those days and remember who gave you the days of old. Better days are coming. Hang in there. You never walk alone. 

Marty

4 comments:

  1. Yes Marty, those are great memories, but greater yet are the days to come when we will see our Savior face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us all how lucky we really are, Marty. I forget sometimes and then here you go, bringing me back to my youth. You're da greatest!!!

    ReplyDelete