Wednesday, April 22, 2020

On This Day In 1823 4/22/2020

Good Morning,

Morning came later for me today and I got a late start on everything. My coffee of choice this morning is Door County Highlander Grog.

Photo Credit Wikipedia.

I decided to look at what happened on this date many years ago. Many amazing things happened throughout the years, some of it tragic and some of it wonderful. The one that stood out for me was the fact that "roller skates" was patented on April 22nd in 1823 by R J Tyers.

Proverbs 15:30 A glad heart makes a cheerful face, but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is crushed.

This got me to thinking about people moving around. The thought of people with wheels on their shoes had to be a novel idea back then. I would imagine as the idea caught on, the visits to the hospitals and doctors increased as well.

As a kid I wasn't to keen on the idea of roller skating  but would occasionally go with my sister and cousins to an indoor skating rink. I would usually come home with more than my share of bruises and floor burns from my consistent falling. I soon decided that football was more fun and less punishment on my body. I recall having to make a trip into the men's room and not being able to stop on skates. I fell into the urinal as it flushed. I had a shower in the pee trough and was quite humiliated.

Ethel Barrymore once said. “You grow up the day you have the first real laugh at yourself.”

The point is this. When I think about the experience I can laugh about it now. It is better to be able to learn to laugh at yourself and not take things or myself too seriously. Try to find the humor in each day and be able to laugh at yourself. Some of the best humor is at your own expense. I think I grew up a little on the first day I decided to laugh at myself.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment