Thursday, July 18, 2019

Depression Can Be Beat 7/18/2019

Good Morning,

I can hear the Door County Caramel Apple Coffee as it drips slowly into the pot. It won't be too long before I fill my cup.



The emotion / illness I want to talk about today is depression. For some it seems as if they can't even feel the warmth of the sun. For them the sun turned ice cold. They find little or nothing to smile about and life seems worthless. They are cold on a hot day. The blood does not seem to flow through their body.

Many of us might have experienced this or we know someone who is. I had a spell of depression in 1981 where it seemed like I would not snap out of it. But someone took a chance to tell me this. "Jesus loves you and I am praying for you. Do you have a Bible? Please read one". It was on a lonely night while in the throws of depression and sorrow that I read a Bible. The verse was this.

Matthew 11:28-30New International Version (NIV)
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

It's at that moment when I heard Jesus calling me. Paraphrased, I heard  "I know you are tired and beat down. I know you are trying to make it. But you won't without My help. Come to me, I care".

My depression was lifted and I had hope for tomorrow. Now I sit here knowing full well that I experienced a miracle and a new birth. But someone took a chance to lead me to the Truth. I needed to know that someone loved me and that Someone was Jesus.

Do you have some Bible verses you can share with someone who's sun has frozen? Here are a few.

Psalm 8:1-6  “Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!  You have set your glory in the heavens.  Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.  When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them,  human beings that you care for them?  You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.  You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet.”
Deuteronomy 31:8  “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
Philippians 4:8  “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
Psalm 40:1-3  “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.”
2 Samuel 22:29  “You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light.”
Psalm 32:10  “Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him.”
1 Peter 5:6-7  “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”


Don't leave these people to struggle on their own. They might not know how to ask for help or are too proud to ask or admit it. Give them a word of love and compassion. But always leave them with a Bible verse or the directions on how to find one. God is good and will never let you down when you are genuinely trying to help. If you yourself are depressed seek some help, turn to God's Word. Leave me a comment and an email address and I will get back to you.

God bless you my dear friends.

Marty

Have a great day

6 comments:

  1. I don't have Door County coffee but even my coffee taste pretty good while reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty,
    Your message today was excellent and I sent it to a brother in the LORD who does deal with this malady. Thank you for the reminder
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marty, appropriate for today as of yesterday found out my daughter's friends father committed suicide. To sad how depression affects all of the family and not only that person. Thanks for the Bible verses here, saved me time looking some up. I enjoy your blogging. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete