Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Up Goes The Christmas Tree 11/29/2016

Good Morning,

I am wide awake today and ready to get to the kitchen and pour some Door County Harvest Blend Coffee into a large mug. The cold rain is not going to have an impact on me today.



Last night I started putting up our Christmas tree. It is probably the biggest project of the season each year. Rene likes it up before we hold our annual Christmas Caroling outing which is this coming Saturday. I enjoy setting it up and stringing the lights. Rene loves adding the ornaments. But by far we both enjoy the tree and the lights more and more as we get older.

As I look outside all the trees in our yard have shed their leaves. But it is the fir trees that seem to shine better in the winter. They still show signs of life. As I look at the Christmas tree I am reminded of Jesus. As many of us make trees and gifts the center of our own Christmas practice, we would do well to remember that they are ultimately symbols of the One who gave himself to unite heaven and earth, and who brings all barren things to flower. Jesus came from heaven to bring eternal life to those who are spiritually dead. When I see the fir tree I see His mission. When the lights are turned on I see Him as the light of my life and a light to the world.

When I look at our tree I see how Jesus has blessed us with each other. Rene and I decided a long time ago that no matter what, we would always do our best to celebrate Christmas.

Isaiah 11:1 There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.

So go ahead and start to enjoy Christmas. It's never too soon.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment