Thursday, November 3, 2016

Infection Prevention 11/3/2016

Good Morning,

I am enjoying a big cup of Door County Cherry Crème Coffee with a splash of apple cider donut dunked in the cup ever so gently. I am afraid I am bragging, but if there were awards for donut dunking I believe I would be a gold medal winner.

As many of you know I work in health care and a good portion of my time is spent with the Infection Prevention Department caregivers. They were formerly known as the "Infection Control Department".



Their job primarily consists of preventing the start of infections within hospitals and if one occurs minimizing the ability of the germ to spread. They are all about patient and caregiver safety. They run across the standard infections and then one will come along that is new or rare. I have worked with many of these bug pros and when something new is on the prowl they become tenacious.  They work to wipe it out, whether it is new or just a run of the mill old one.

Life can be full of spiritual infections also. Like a severe cold can be minor at first, if left unchecked it can turn into pneumonia and for some, be deadly. Little sins that we pick up and decide to entertain in our lives become worse over time and the consequences can be devastating. The sin can impact our families and friends, thus spreading the impact to others. Just the same way that an out of control infection does not stop at just one person, it seeks to destroy many.

Now if I suspect an issue within a hospital or want advice on how to perform construction safely within a healthcare setting I call upon our little "Puss Busters"  (Pun on "who do you call? Ghost Busters!) 

From time to time I advise all believers to get a spiritual health check up to see if anything unhealthy has crept into their lives. We can call on the Great Infection Preventionist to illuminate the bad stuff and convict us of our need to remove it and work toward a healthy spiritual walk.

Think of it like this.  We can ask God to give us a spiritual MRI.

Psalm 139:23-24New International Version (NIV)
23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.
 
Now many of us take medications to prevent certain illnesses or we submit to vaccinations. We can take spiritual medication "a gospill" on a daily basis to help us avoid a nasty spiritual infection.
 
 Psalm 119:105King James Version (KJV)
105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

I advise a daily double dose taken in the morning and one at night. God's Word living within us helps to fight off temptation and spiritual illness. It's like hand washing, which helps to stop the spread of communicable diseases.

Psalm 119:11New International Version (NIV)
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
 
So my friends as one who needs to go to the doctor from time to time just to have him tell me what I already know. Too many brats do not make a healthy Marty. We too, already know what needs to go spiritually. But when in doubt call upon the Expert for a diagnosis.
 
Have a healthy day!
 
Marty

 

2 comments: