Thursday, November 24, 2016

A Kettle Of Memories 11/24/2016

Good Morning,

I am sitting at my desk of many memories taking time to reflect and enjoy a cup of Door County Harvest Blend Coffee. I have set the perfect scene for me.

Our furry family Springer Spaniel Gibbs is under the desk with his head on my feet. I threw some wood into the fireplace and I can feel the warmth rising to the den. I can hear the cedar kindling still crackle now and then. Later this morning we will make a trip to the airport to pick up our grandson. My heart is warmed by the fire of God within and so with all that being said, I can write.


This old kettle pictured above was handed down to me many years ago. In our basement pantry there is a twin to this one. This one belonged to my grandmother. Both will be used today. The one above is filled with pasta sauce and is slowly simmering for our dinner later today.

Today we celebrate Thanksgiving and as I reflect and look at the old kettle I have chosen to be thankful for all the hands that touched me and impacted my life. Too bad that most of them are gone on now and they really never knew how much they impacted me. As I write, my heart is pouring out memories in my mind. I can't take you there to see them, but you can relive your own kettle of memories.

Psalm 139:13New International Version (NIV)
13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

The first one to thank is God, He knew me first and still impacts me daily, loves me and will continue for eternity. Great grandparents started the process of teaching my grandparents many of the traditions I still do today, from pasta to hunting. My grandparents taught me many things from wood cutting to fishing. How to make pasta sauce and go to church. Hard work will pay off. Paying your bills is important. My parents taught me more than I can remember this morning. Right now they would be telling me that shedding a tear is ok, but now it's time to suck it up and get going. Aunts and uncles both had an impact on me. I especially think of one today that helped me get through high school algebra. One uncle gave me my first whiskey. It was supposed to be a secret but when I stumbled into the house I am sure my mother knew that I was a little drunk at fourteen. My wife took over the process of raising me and still is waiting for me to grow up. One older cousin took time to teach me how to play football. I think I made him proud. Nieces and nephews  and siblings still have an impact on me. I fondly remember selling hot dogs with my sister on the side of the road. My one nephew taught me how to look for my tools! Of course there were pastors, teachers, doctors, nurses, co-workers and friends. I lost a friend a few years ago when He went to heaven. He taught me to smile even when things really weren't terrific.  In 1978 a small bundle wrapped in pink changed my way of life and is still blessing me. I had to learn how to bra shop one day with her. That's a memory I laugh about. Then there are the grandkids One  grandson who has touched my heart is a manly man, but has a sensitive side. He takes good care of his parents and enjoys family outings. He taught me to slow down. He can take his mother bra shopping now. Ha!

So many people had an impact on me. But today when I look at that kettle and carry on a tradition, I see their faces in my mind. The pasta sauce is seasoned just right but there might be a couple of tears in it, that added some salt. But I sit here and say I am blessed to be here, and I am blessed to have been there.  God is good all the time.



Marty

2 comments:

  1. Those people have made an impact in your life and now you carry on the tradition of making an impact on others. Really enjoyed the stories of old and look forward to hearing more. Happy Thanksgiving Chief. Love you.

    ReplyDelete