Friday, December 11, 2015

The New Person 12/11/15

Good Morning,

My day will be filled with an early Christmas celebration with our daughter Kristy and the family. My mind says go, go, go, but the body is not cooperating. The Door County Pumpkin Spice Coffee just quit brewing and I will stop for a moment to fill my cup.

My mind during the early hours wandered way back into the vault of memories to a day when I dropped Kristy off at her first day of high school. She was new to the area and most of the kids in the school knew each other for many years through grade school and junior high. I remember praying with her and watching her step out of the car. There was a sigh and a little hesitation as she left the safety of the car and headed into the unknown.  My heart sank when she walked away. I wanted to stay and be her buddy for the day. No one likes being the new person. She survived high school and did very well. But I remember her telling me that the first day was at least awkward.

Exodus 2:20    
          
He said to his daughters, "Where is he then? Why is it that you have left the man behind? Invite him to have something to eat."

Where am I going with this? New people come into our lives all the time. It could be work, hobbies, school, neighborhoods, families, or church that brings them to us. The first two minutes after meeting us they have formed an opinion of us or the organization we represent. How are you at being open and welcome? We all take pride in showing hospitality when we invite people into our homes but how do we react when they bring someone in with them that we do not know yet?  How are we at the grocery check out line? Do we welcome other people with a smile and a Merry Christmas while we are waiting? God requires us to be friendly and show hospitality in all situations. That first two minutes are awkward for both parties. But a smile and a greeting while looking someone in the eye goes a long way. It might be the kindest words that the other person or you hear all day. Don't blow the chance. Don't leave anyone behind in a group setting.

Have a great day. I hope you meet a new person.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment