Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Sermon For Christmas 12/16/2015

Good Morning,

I am praying today for many of my friends and family who are suffering from a nasty upper respiratory infection. I wish I could bring all of you who are ill a bowl of chicken soup and hot cup of Door County Jingle Bell Java Coffee.



It's coming up again. It's that second time of the year when people feel the need to go to church. Easter was the first time for the need to get some religion for many two times a year folks. As one who preaches most every Saturday night I am glad that Christmas Christians show up. A few people crack jokes about their two times a year attendance, but I do not find it a laughing matter at all.

Many churches will plan dramas or musicals to make the estranged visitors feel more welcome and give them a warm fuzzy feeling. I think that is a good idea, but they were already coming. The Holy Spirit created in them a need to seek something.

I am taking a rest this December from preaching so I can visit with family. I am truly grateful to those wonderful guys who are filling in for me. But if I were preaching I have to admit I would take advantage of the Holy Spirit's work and during my Christmas message it wouldn't be about anything but the wages of sin, the redemption of the sinner through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It would definitely be fire and brimstone. Why would I do that?

Because, why take a chance on not seeing the two a year people until Easter? I don't want them comfortable and sucking on some candy cane message. I want them to be convicted of their need for that little baby Our Savior Jesus Christ. Heaven and hell weighs in the balance. Why tip toe around, assuming they will be back or even that they will be alive in two months?

Here is the Christmas message for all Christians.

Matthew 28:16-20New International Version (NIV)

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Send the gift that never stops. Send a message about sin, repentance, heaven and hell.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment