Sunday, December 28, 2014

Silence Is Golden 12/28/2014

Good Morning,

It's good to be home today. I made a quick trip to Upper Michigan to visit my Dad on Christmas day and stayed for a couple of days. My coffee is hot and the flavor is Door County Candy Cane. A snowstorm hampered my travels home. But all is well now and back to blogging and enjoying my coffee and the view of a hot fireplace.


We celebrated Christmas at the home of one of my cousins. The dinner was very nice and the conversations were a lot of fun. I was blessed to be there.

My Dad really does live in the middle of nowhere. The one thing I like about it the most is the silence, especially when it is cold and snowing. A cup of hot coffee around 9AM while standing out on the deck is a treat that one doesn't get too often unless you live there. You can pause to listen for God and petition Him in prayer without the interruption of noise. It seems that I can go there and get my heart cleared of concerns for awhile and my head screwed on straight again.

I thought about this for awhile and what it really comes down to is that I just took time to be still, enjoy being still, and listen in the stillness. Below are some Bible verses on silence and the value of it. I often look at these in a quiet place an am reminded that if I want to be closer to God I need to listen for Him and I need to be still. I also use these verses to remind me that I do not always add value to every conversation and that many times in life it is just best to be quiet.

My friends silence is and can be golden.

Lamentations 3:26         

It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

Psalm 46:10        

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

Psalm 62:5        

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him.

Proverbs 17:28    

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

Psalm 141:3         

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!

Job 29:21        

“Men listened to me and waited and kept silence for my counsel.

Habakkuk 2:20         

But the Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him.”

Matthew 11:15         

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Have a great day and may you find time to be quiet and a place where it is peaceful.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment