Friday, December 12, 2014

Pursuit Of Happiness 12/12/2014

Good Morning,

Friday showed up just like I knew it would. My coffee this morning is Door County Harvest Blend. I have a few fun days in store for me this weekend. I can't wait to get started. But for now I need to get to the hospital and get some work done. It has been a productive week.

Benjamin Franklin once said, "The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself".
Happiness is not a destination but the process of getting there.

I believe that many people desire "happiness" but yet when you ask them what it really is that would make them happy it is hard for them to nail down just one thing. I spoke with a young lady about ten years ago who said that her only wish was to get married and have a family. She was married shortly after that and had two children within three years. Her husband ran a successful business. Life seemed to be good. When her oldest child was six years old he became very ill and her days were spent at one hospital or another. I met her once again while visiting a hospital where her son was staying. I asked her if she needed anything and she said, "I need a break", my husband works all the time and I am always here at the hospital." My heart did go out to her, but everything she hoped for was not enough when she received it. Some women would want a husband who worked and paid the bills. Some women would be happy to spend all their time with their sick child because they don't have any children. You see, my friend's happiness all started in things that can change.

Happiness is a condition of the heart. A heart which is happy with being a child of God the King is a happy heart and the true journey to inner happiness starts with Jesus. A heart that beats for others beats best. Below are some Bible verses that will help us all find the true meaning of happiness.

Psalms 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shall you dwell in the land, and truly you shall be fed.
Psalms 37:4 Delight yourself also in the LORD: and he shall give you the desires of your heart.
Proverbs 14:13 Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is heaviness.
Proverbs 16:20 He that handles a matter wisely shall find good: and whoever trusts in the LORD, happy is he.
Ecclesiastes 3:12 I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.
Ecclesiastes 3:13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God.
Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelled among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
 
Life's journey to happiness includes work, playing, loving and living. But it all starts with Jesus and our relationship with Him.
Let that thought carry you through today. You are as happy as you choose to be.
God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment