Saturday, March 15, 2014

When I Die Bury Me In Flannel 3/15/14

Good Morning,

I hope this finds you all well and in love with Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. My coffee this morning is Door County Jamaican Me Crazy.

I had to work today for a short period and now have time to write. On the way home from work I was listening to the radio and there was a song playing that spoke about "If I die young bury me in satin". Well that song started the thought process. I don't have to worry about dying young. I am already old.

But it made me think. What will I wear to my funeral. I have worn tailored expensive suits, football and baseball uniforms, sweat pants, jeans, sweaters, tuxedos and my birthday suit. Often as I have attended funerals I will see the deceased in a new suit or their Sunday best. They are all decked out and as people pass by they say things like "oh he looks so good". Argh how does a dead person look good?

So I decided to write my wishes. When I die bury me in flannel, with my Bible and my duck calls. Form two lines to view me. One for those who wish to mourn with my family and the other line for those who want to make sure I am dead. Put my camouflage Stormy Kromer hat on my head and a smirk on my face. Don't put me in a tie and suit. That wasn't how I was most comfortable and really isn't the true me.

Romans 12:3 New King James Version (NKJV)

For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith

When my day comes, this is all that can be said. I was a sinner saved by grace.  I loved Jesus, loved my family, read my Bible, went to work, served God when He asked me to, hunted ducks, and treated my animals with love.

So don't dress me in something I am not, make me sound like I walked on water, or was anything but a common man.

Now all said and done. Who really cares about any of this. I really don't. Why? Because I won't be there. Dress me up to look like Elvis if it will help you. I don't really care. I won't be there. Bury me in a swamp. I don't really care. I won't be there.

2 Corinthians 5  (NKJV)

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Well enough on that subject. Have a great day.
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment