Saturday, March 1, 2014

I Saw God At Work Yesterday. Rest In Peace Fritz Top Gun Schutte 3/1/14

Good Morning,

My coffee today is Door County Red Velvet Mocha. I have been saving this one for a day when I needed some extra chocolate. Today is that day.

Deuteronomy 31:6 (NLT)

So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”

Yesterday my faithful hunting companion and friend took his last breath. Age had taken it's toll. Today we mourn the loss of our loved one. Fritz Top Gun Schutte. I have had good hunting dogs. Every man is entitled to one great one. Fritz was the great one. 4034 retrieves.

But here is how I saw God at work. I was supposed to be managing a construction job at the hospital where I work today and then leave for Snow Goose Hunting in Iowa. Fritz was going through  old age and sleeping a lot without distress. I knew that his bout with cancer would catch him some day and I expected it to be this year. There were no signs that yesterday would be the day until early morning. He was having trouble breathing which is a sign that the old bird dog was going to need to be put down. Our extreme cold weather not only cancelled the construction project but also cancelled the hunt.

Before I could get the vet scheduled to lay Fritz down easy he  worsened quickly and had a stroke or heart attack. My wife found him struggling after work and she called me. A dear friend of ours rushed Rene and Fritz to the vet. I was able to make it there to say goodbye to Fritz before he expired.

So let me put this together for you. I pray for my family all the time. Yes it was time for Fritz to go home and watch birds all day long without pain. So yes that hurt, but it is a part of life. I trust God. I especially pray for protection for my wife. If I had been at work today, she would have had to do this alone. If I were in Iowa I would not have been able to say good bye to Fritz. I had promised him I would be there for the last. My wife would be grieving alone. But God knew Fritz needed a rest, Rene needed me, and I needed to keep a promise. God made it cold! He gave us a beloved friend to help my wife and comfort us at the end.  His timing is best. I saw Him love on us during a tough time. I want to publicly thank God for carrying the load yesterday for us. So it is bitter sweet today. I look down at my feet and I see the puppy Gibbs ready to rock some marshes and fields. So life will go on and the freezer will get filled. But I have fond memories to cherish and more to come.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment