Thursday, March 7, 2024

Our Paths Crossed Before 3/7/2024

 Good Morning,

Bring on the Door County Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Coffee and let's get this day started. 

Yesterday I had the privilege of helping out a friend. My friend had open heart surgery a few days ago and is now home convalescing and getting back his strength. Mt friend is also the caregiver for his 92 year old father. There were some chores to perform and I felt sorry for George the 92 year old in this story. He doesn't really know me and here is a stranger in his home doing laundry and washing the dishes. I decided to engage George in conversation and I listened more than I talked. Imagine that! As George told me that he was a carpenter by trade and who he worked for, I found out we have friends in common. We both worked at the same hospital many years ago. George as a contractor and me as a hospital employee. The bond was made and I asked George if he wanted to help me out with changing the sheets and making up the beds. A hearty yes came my way and we partnered up on some of the work. Lunch time came around and it was a pleasure to warm up some food for both of the boys, but it was George's smile that made my day. We joked back and forth throughout the day and we prayed before I left. If I live to be as old as George, I hope people will let me feel valid and worth something. I look forward to seeing those two again today for a couple of hours and my goal is to do a good job in all that needs to be done. I am praying for another opportunity to serve George, yet include him in the work.


Everyone has a desire to be considered and validated as useful. I learned a long time ago that no matter the age of a person, all people are to be treated with respect, dignity, and kindness. I also captured the wisdom that one can always learn from someone who is the elder. 

Proverbs 20:29 The glory of young men is their strength, but the splendor of old men is their gray hair. 

So today, pet the older dog first. Take time to sit and listen to the elders given to you. Be inclusive and validate their importance as well as their experiences.

Food For thought, 

Marty

1 comment:

  1. Gray hair was considered then to be a sign of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete