Sunday, March 24, 2024

It Could Have Been Worse 3/24/2024

 Good Morning,

It is so comfortable in our den right now that I think I will study for another hour or so. I have with me a hot cup of Door County Sunrise Roast Coffee and two content dogs. 


Last Friday found me on the road for work in a pretty good snow storm. One stretch of the highway I was traveling on was pretty much glare ice. I was driving very slowly and had about 4-5 car lengths between me and the next vehicle. My daughter says I drive too slow and am like an old grandpa behind the wheel. I take that as a compliment. I happened to take a quick look in the rear view mirror and a car was coming up behind me. I was still moving forward, when this other car tapped me on my rear bumper. At the next safe opportunity I pulled over to inspect my truck. I was fortunate to have been moving forward when the car slid into me. 

The other driver pulled over to the side of the road with me. I saw this kid get out from his vehicle. I already could see that neither one of the vehicles had any damage. This young man was all shook up and I was just in a mood to introduce him to a snow bank for traveling too fast for the conditions. 

Something told me to cut the kid some slack and be thankful for the fact that it could have been worse. I asked him if he was ok and he replied that he was. He asked about me how I was and I replied that I thought my two knees were broken and my neck only turns one way. Not a good idea. This kid almost wet his pants. I smiled and said I was fine and no harm no foul. I did remind him nicely that a safe stopping distance in that type of weather is a good policy. I asked him if I could pray with him for safe travels and he agreed. Once I finished praying, I told him to remember this day and if he is ever on the receiving end of a fender bump to also show kindness and mercy. I said good bye and he thanked me for the slack and the lesson. He wished me a better day and I believe he meant it. 

Just two weeks ago I was preaching on the Beatitudes and mercy. It was my chance to practice what I preached. I felt good about the encounter with this young man and I believe his lesson was learned. I also was the recipient of a lesson to live by.

Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will obtain mercy. 

I woke up this morning and I wasn't in hell. It's more mercy than I deserve. Have a great day!

Marty

2 comments: