Friday, September 2, 2022

Hutspot To Eat 9/2/2022

 Good Morning,

Friday came in like a lamb today and I can tell you this for sure. I wish I was hunting instead of working today. I would love to be in the field today and sipping on a hot cup of Door County Maple Coffee.

I am thinking about having a get together pot luck style. The attendees would agree before hand to reach into a hat and pull out a note with the name of a country on it. Then they would make a dish native to that country. 


While doing some research on what some different countries eat, I looked up some food from the Netherlands, Basically Dutch cuisine. One particular dish stood out as something I would like. I would bet anything that it would really hit the spot on a cold day,

 Hutspot is a dish made from mashed potatoes, carrots and onions that is one of the staples of traditional Dutch cuisine.

I think this could be fun and also serve to broaden our horizons and add diversity to our meals. Each person would share copies of the recipe they use.

Why am I writing about this today? One reason is this. I can. My second reason is to give folks and idea for a simple, yet good time. I believe friends should gather together and possibly invite some people that you don't know very well. A new neighbor is a friend you just haven't made yet. My goal today is to encourage you all to reach out and extend a hand of friendship to someone today and be nice!

Everyone likes to be included and at times we hold the key to their inclusion. Think about it and reach out to the new family on the block, You can bet that I will make this dish in my cast iron Dutch oven,

Have a great day, 

Hutspot Recipe 

Ingredients

  • 2 lb potatoes  peeled and cut into large pieces
  •  lb carrots cut into large chunks.  Any color will do.
  • 1 lb white onions thinly sliced. Maybe Vidalia Onions?
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter. Right from Wisconsin.
  • ½ cup milk hot. Whole milk
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
  • Salt
  • Pepper freshly ground


Instructions

  • Place the potatoes, carrots, bay leaf and onions in a Dutch oven and cover with water to level. Season with salt and mix.
  • Bring to a boil and cook, covered, over medium heat for 25 minutes.
  • Drain, remove the bay leaf and add all the rest into a large bowl.
  • Using a potato masher, coarsely mash all of the mixture.
  • Add the butter, milk, nutmeg and pepper. Mix.
  • Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve.
  • You can serve Hutspot with a sausage such as a ring bologna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment