Monday, July 4, 2022

The Day The Music Ended 7/4/2022

 Good Morning,

I am listening to the birds sing outside the window of our den and their music makes my cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee taste even better. So, that being said it is time to write.



My wife has a love for antique shopping. She can spend hours going through an antique shop and looking at each booth with great attention. She enjoys her time looking back in time though the pieces for sale. I am being very honest when I say that I don't mind going with her and spending the day doing something she likes to do. Yesterday was one of those days and it also included stopping for an ice cream cone. We found ourselves in a two story antique mall in a small town in Wisconsin.  

It wasn't too long until I saw Rene holding a piece to a dish collection she has and there was a smile on her face as she proclaimed that this one was the last of this style she needed. I wandered around and actually found a hat that I thought that a dear friend of ours would like. After a few photos were exchanged through text messages a purchase was made for our friend. I would call that a productive day. 

When I wander through these emporiums of history and some piece catches my eye it starts me to wondering about who might have owned it in the past. Were there different owners over time? Where did this come from and what were the people like. 

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground. For out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you shall return.

Yesterday was no exception. I found two antique accordions. They were very old and not in condition to produce music anymore. I started to wonder about the people who owned them and composed a lot of questions in my mind. Was this instrument played in a tavern, church, a beer garden or a band? Was the owner male or female. Was it played on happy occasions? When the accordion stopped producing music was it because it could not be repaired? Was it handed down and forgotten in a closet until an estate sale was had and it was discovered? So many questions and no answers. I like to make up the answers to my questions,  I decided the original owner was a German farmer who was an early immigrant to the United States. He brought the accordion with him across the ocean when he came to the US. His name was Hans and he was married to Anna. They had 6 kids and Hans played the accordion as Anna taught the children how to dance the waltz. They sang songs together from the old country and Hans would play for weddings and other celebrations.  

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where you treasure is there also will be your heart. 

I let my imagination stop there as I did not want to finish my concocted story with anything that included the day the accordion stopped producing music. 

So my thought for today is this. All things come to an end and sometimes the story of a man or woman ends up in an antique mall, with people wondering about the history. So my friends we need to remember that some day we will not be with our possessions and some might be tossed away after we pass on from this world. But what lies ahead for those who have placed their faith in Christ Jesus will be still singing for eternity.

Have a blessed day.

Marty


 

No comments:

Post a Comment