Thursday, July 7, 2022

Camping Out 7/7/2022

 Good Morning,

This day began after a night of some of the best sleep I have had in a long time. I woke up thankful for the rest. A hot cup of Door County Christmas Coffee is sitting next to me and it is time to write.

It has been many years since I have been camping and it will be a long time before I camp out again. My idea of camping now is staying in a cabin with running water, heat, or air conditioning, and having a bonfire later at night. Tents and camp stoves with cold showers or a bath in the lake don't cut it for me anymore. Those experiences are in the past, best not resurrected for this old guy. 

I want to use the metaphor of camping to paint my word picture this morning,  Some of my camping memories include the never ending bonfire. You stayed up late enjoying some music after cooking a tasty dinner outside. When you woke up, the ashes were stirred in the fire pit and the fire was started again so the coffee could be brewed. There was always a chair that offered a comfortable place to sit. At night you watched the stars and in the morning you greeted the sunrise. Breakfast was also cooked outside and my best memories included bacon and eggs from a cast iron skillet. Most of the time my camping experiences were designed to be a get away for a day or two. Once or twice I camped for a week and to be honest I came home rested and better for having taken the time to get away from life's hustle and stress. I didn't even miss my microwave or my coffee brewer. Coffee was made the old fashioned way. So you could say I "camped out over a rest area." There is a lot to be said for peace and quiet and doing nothing but praying and gathering my thoughts. 

This leads me to my thoughts for today. Life has been really stressful for a couple of weeks now and it has taken a toll on me and my family. I don't have a desire to go camping and get away from it all but I have decided that I need to camp out over some of God's Word and take in the aroma of their soothing tones. I will be up early tomorrow and the next couple of days doing so. I will be outside tonight enjoying a bonfire and taking in time with the Lord. 

I have copied a few of my go to verses for you to "camp over" for those times when peace seems to be elusive. 

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. each day has trouble of it's own.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your cares upon Him for He cares for you.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled or be afraid. 

Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.

Romans 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us who will be against us?

Hebrews 13:6 So we can confidently say, " The Lord is my helper; I will not fear, what can man do to me? 

Take some time and camp over these verses if you need them. Be still before the Lord and heal your wounds. Don't let the fire go out.

God bless,

Marty




No comments:

Post a Comment