Saturday, July 23, 2022

Midnight Sewer And Drain 7/23/2022

 Good Morning,

My mug was just filled with Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee and I am skipping breakfast today. 

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. 



The title 'Midnight Sewer And Drain" really won't mean a thing to anyone but me, some of my family and a few friends. But it is a reminder of some years long ago when my good friend and I worked together "side jobbing" almost every night. My friend and I were either working, or hunting, or fishing, and now and then we could 'tear up the town" pretty well. We purchased our first hunting dogs at the same time in agreement that he would buy a Labrador and an English Springer would be best for me, Us two idiots knew nothing about training dogs at that time. We met almost every night, sometimes very late in an old abandoned field to "run the boys". We only lived a couple blocks away from each other. Prior to meeting our wives we went through a couple of years of heartbreak and some wild times.  And we didn't always have the best advice to give. But on some of those long long nights of side work we had some pretty serious talks. 

Why am I reminiscing today and recalling days of old? Well my friend is having some major surgery this morning and it is serious. He now lives in another city hours away from us and he is on my heart and mind this morning. 

You see. Most men will have in a life time a few other men that will impact their lives and leave a mark on their past, present and future. It might be one or it could be five. But one thing for sure is that you are also here to be that link for someone else. He is one of my five. 

A chain can be broken and in most instances a link can be installed  to repair it. Another link can be added to a chain making it longer and able to accomplish more. There isn't a time when I pick up my shotgun to hunt or I step into a boat that I don't think about this friend and some of the great times spent afield. 

Are you a link in the chain of life for others? Can they count on you to be there in a pinch. Do thoughts of them make you smile and say a prayer of thanks. I am grateful for the links in my chain and today I am praying for a successful surgery and for a few more adventures. 

God bless.

Marty

4 comments: