Saturday, July 30, 2022

Shooting For A Purpose 7/30/2022

 Good Morning,

I just sat down to write after a good night of sleep and I am enjoying a hot cup of Door County Mocha Mint Coffee to help start my day.


Our two dogs are driving me nuts this morning. They saw me pack up a shot gun for target shooting today and they think it is time to hunt. Every move I make now has those two on my heels. I feel bad for confusing the boys. But two small treats in a little bit will have me forgiven. 

Later this morning I will be meeting two of my nephews and  and a couple of friends as we gather with a couple thousand folks to shoot sporting clays and raise money for cancer research and assistance for those suffering from this deadly disease. The five I will be shooting with are many years younger than I am. 

My first encounter with cancer came when I was in second grade when my parents explained to me that my uncle (Mom's brother) had a disease called cancer. Before I knew it my cousins were fatherless and the reality of the word cancer set in and it landed hard. Cancer has claimed many others in the family. Not all that long ago my sister was attacked by cancer in a vicious way and while sitting at her son's wedding it reminded me again how deadly and ruthless it is. 

What I am writing about is not the disease itself but the compassion that is shown today as I gather to shoot with these young folks and raise funds in the fight for treatments and a cure. It is Saturday and I am sure these young ones have other things they could be doing besides accompanying an old guy out to blow targets out of the sky for a cause. In doing so, I get a glimpse of their hearts and it makes me sit down and thank God for each of them. I like what I see. They will be rewarded some day for their kind act and maybe in their lifetime they will see a cure. Today they go out unselfishly and I  am sure they won't even think about the fact that there is a return for what they do. It is the law of the harvest. You reap what you plant. Today they plant compassion, respect and love. In turn they will receive the same some day. 

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

I mentioned that I get to see the hearts of these young people. I have to say, I like what I see. 

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment