Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The First Step In A Thousand Miles 6/29/2021

 Good Morning,

The day began early again for me, but this day will hold a cup of Door County Vanilla Cappuccino or two in my future. It's time to write.

Yesterday found me once again  being repaired by a surgeon in this life of mine. Nothing serious, but a couple hernias were getting bothersome and it was time for repairs to be made. 

Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came up to Him and said, "Lord how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" 22. Jesus replied, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy time seven.

While waiting for surgery and praying about what I could write about for today, I had a thought come to me. In order to start any type of walk you have to take the first step. In order to get from one side of the lake to the other side, you have to leave the shore. 

"A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With One Step". Lao Tzu

Jesus says to us that we are to forgive others time after time after time. Some people withhold forgiving others for many reasons. Distance is often used as an excuse. The magnitude of repeated offenses might cause us to play judge and jury and have us dig in, refusing to forgive. We use excuses that we derive in our minds like "they did this to me, so me, refusing to forgive, is their punishment. Yet, Biblically we are to be forgiving people just as God has forgiven us. If anyone says they have only sinned once in their lives, they truly own the title of liar and fool

To forgive means we are to take action. Not just saying to ourselves, "I forgive that person" We should communicate to the person and let them know they are forgiven. We too should examine our own souls to see if any portion of the dispute could belong to us. Thus a dual cleaning of slates should be and can be done. 

In order to do this, we need to take that first step in reconciliation by reaching out to God to forgive us of our deeds and then to show us the way and words to say. We must desire to forgive without expectations of receiving anything in return. Once we are right with God and know the way. We must put ourselves into action and head out with forgiveness and love as our base. Take the first step. It might take many steps of courage to reach that point. But you never get anywhere without taking the first step. I attend funerals like anyone else does. Sometimes what I hear is this, "I wish we could have solved our differences before he or she passed. I wished I had apologized." 

Don't wait until it's too late. Take the step.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment