Friday, June 25, 2021

A Day With A Place In My Heart

 Good Morning,

Friday came in with it's headlights on and it was right on time for this guy. I am enjoying a hot cup of Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee and now it is time to write. 

Genesis2:24 Therefore a man will leave his mother and his father and hold fast to his wife. And the two shall become one. 


Today June 25th, if my parents were still alive they would be celebrating 66 years of marriage. Yes their anniversary is something I still celebrate. I remember the date, raise my coffee mug in a salute and thank God for two people who wanted children and committed to raising them in the best way they could. I was the first born and I believe I was the greatest challenge to them. 

Think this through, my parents never had children before I came along. Child rearing was new to them. I was a restless and mischievous child and for a couple years a little on the sickly side. 

Me being one challenge, didn't stop other challenges from coming along. Mom had her first heart attack when I was in the first grade. A car accident injured her severely shortly after heart surgery, My sister and dad were also injured in that accident. Bills seemed to be our worst enemy for a long time. They experienced ups and downs annually and all this time they were trying to steer the oldest hell raising child in the right direction. 

Through thick and thin they plodded and I heard plenty of discussions on just about anything and everything, but never did I hear the word divorce. Some men would have walked out on that mess. Some women would have packed the kids and left for greener pastures. But my parents stuck it out together eventually being able to retire. They never stopped being parents or caring for one another. 

Every couple has issues, troubles and times when they wonder why they got married in the first place. But the first reason after the attraction period in a relationship is the fact that you love one another despite the issues and troubles. 

So today if the spark seems to be missing in your marriage, don't quit if at all possible. Your next attempt might have some of the same problems. Troubles come and troubles go. Making a marriage last takes work and dedication. Think about it this way. If your grandparents didn't make it last, you might not be here. 

Friends, salute those who lasted, be committed to lasting yourselves and learn to enjoy who you have next to you. Pray for one another and seek to find the good in each of you. 

God bless,

Marty

4 comments: