Sunday, June 6, 2021

Jackson Park, A Place In My Heart 6/6/2021

 Good Morning,

The gardens are watered. The dogs are fed. My Door County Tanzanian Peaberry Coffee is next to me and it is good and hot. It is time to write.

We are in a bit of a drought in this part of the world and the heat is a little excessive. I was up early to water the gardens and get our dogs out for some exercise before it is too hot. I plan on taking them swimming later today. 

As I was walking in the yard and finishing my chores I was recalling my childhood and how we dealt with the heat back then. We did not have air conditioning until I was in high school. We didn't have a pool in the back yard to cool off in. Running through the lawn sprinkler was a good attempt at cooling off, but the running and the water produced a muddy lawn that didn't make dad too happy. 

However, within walking distance we had a county park. Jackson park had everything a kid or adult could need. It had wooded areas and shaded picnic areas. It had a small lagoon or little lake where you could rent a boat and fish for whatever was stocked in the water. There were ducks and geese to feed. The acreage supported tennis courts, baseball diamonds, and a football field. In the winter the lagoon would freeze over and we could ice skate on the frozen water. There was a wooded island in the middle of the lagoon and while ice skating a "smooch or two" might have occurred on the island. Young love! 

The park also had a large pool with diving boards, and a slide. The water was clear, wreaked of chlorine, and the temperature of the H2o was never too warm. It only cost a dime to swim. On very hot days they dropped the charge and pool time was free. That pool was a refreshing way to cool off kids as well as adults. After a day at the pool or an evening swim most folks were too tired to do much more than hit the bed for some rest with your old Sears fan blowing on you from the window.

Why am I recalling a park from my childhood? It's an important place to me filled with baseball games, football practices, and then some football games. It was a place where we had a picnic now and then. My sister taught me how to ice skate there. I might have had a kiss or two on the island. Maybe!

Here's the point. Back in 1907 some city leaders knew the importance of bringing in some trees, and buildings that supported the activities. They reserved an area for nature and fellowship. They knew the importance of gathering together as families, neighbors and the community. The park was filled to capacity every fourth of July for picnics and fireworks. I commend them for their foresight. I thank them for every minute I enjoyed in that park. 

Psalm 107:35 He changes a wilderness into a pool and dry lands into springs of water.

God made us to desire companionship and fellowship. So friends, stay cool, fellowship, and if at all possible get out into nature and keep it going all year long. And be responsible to preserve these areas for the next generations. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment