Thursday, June 24, 2021

Finding True Rest 6/24/2021

 Good Morning,

I am awake and our two dogs are fed. The Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee is brewing. It looks like a busy day for me, so it is time to write. 

Matthew 11:28 Come to Me all of you who are weary and heavy laden. And I will give you rest

Back in 1981 I was going through one of the darkest times of my life and no matter how hard I tried I just could not solve my problems and there just didn't seem anywhere to turn to. I believe I was reaching the end of my rope. One night while in deep despair I turned to a Bible for comfort. I did not even know what I was seeking. I was so tired and worn from carrying my burdens alone. I opened a borrowed Bible and the book fell open to a page with a picture of Christ with His hand out. Matthew 11:28 was written below the picture. 

I surrendered that night, not knowing what exactly happened but I knew I had a friend in God and some how He would lead me through these times. I wish I could tell you that things got better. Within a few weeks they worsened and hard decisions had to be made. But the difference was this, I knew I wasn't walking alone. I had a different outlook and I could sleep. It had come time to quit running my own life. I needed to seek directions from above. I am still a work in progress. 

Are you weak from worry, or strife? Is every step in life a burden? Does it seem like there are roadblocks in front of every move? If God brought you to them He will lead you through them.

Psalm 23:3 He restores my soul, and leads me in paths of righteousness, for His namesake. 

I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I will be. But thank God I am not what I used to be. I just needed to see that hand of help. I found rest.

Marty


2 comments: