Monday, December 7, 2020

The Freedom We Enjoy Wasn't Free 12/7/2020

 Good Morning,

I hope this note finds you in a good place physically and spiritually today. My mug is filled with Door County Candy Cane Coffee and I am ready to write.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born. Unto us a Son is given. And the government will be on His shoulder. And His name will be called, Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, everlasting Father, Prince Of peace.


This year my wife Rene and I have not been in a rush to decorate for Christmas. We are taking it slow and actually enjoying the process more. We have been decorating this home since 1994 and haven't really wavered in how we do it. You could say we have a style and routine. We did however decide to make a couple small changes this year which required more lights. But overall it wasn't anything drastic. We will be placing the ornaments on the tree within the next day or two and then adding the garland made from buttons as the final touch. Last night we worked until midnight placing lights on the tree. I went to bed and I see that Rene put just a few ornaments on already. I am sure there were some tears as she set the ornaments with picture s of our three parents who are not with us anymore. We have ornaments with pictures of our dogs who are gone also. She does this every year and I give her that private time of remembrance.

But while we were working last night and drinking apple cider made from the apples we harvested a couple months ago and enjoying the warmth of our fireplace I couldn't help but be grateful for those who in the past fought to keep us free and I prayed for those who are serving in our military to still keep us free. We are free to decorate the way we want and do not have to hide our Christmas joy.

Today we remember the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7th 9141 and how devastating it was to our country. It sent our country into battle for years and in beginning it looked bleak. We as a country rallied and the war was eventually won. I was reminded that we are free to celebrate Christmas, take our time to do it, or rush, just because we can. But I am also reminded that the freedoms we enjoy were paid for by lives given in service. I salute that generation for setting an example for us. An example of unity, hard work and sacrifice. So today as we prepare to celebrate Christmas and the joy of  Jesus pray for those who cannot celebrate they way they would desire because of rulers who have taken those freedoms away. Let's pray for peace for all mankind.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment