Thursday, December 17, 2020

A Great Day For Me No Room At The Inn 12/17/2020

 Good Morning,

What a nice morning to have a fire glowing in the fireplace and to be sipping on a hot cup of Door County Mistletoe Mocha Coffee. My wife is still sleeping and my two English Springer sidekicks are resting below the desk as I write.

On this morning in 1978 it was cold and snowy, I was rabbit hunting with my dad and it didn't take too long for us to get cold and decide it was time to quit. I drove dad home and was going to head to my home and eat breakfast. We did get a couple of rabbits and my dad declined the invitation to clean them and each take one of them. So I still had the chore of skinning rabbits and cleaning them up for the freezer. As I was saying goodbye to dad, my mother came outside and said that she had a message from my wife and I was supposed to call home before I left. Mind you, this was well before the age of cell phones. I was15 minutes from home and almost decided not to call preferring just to get home and get cleaned up. But something told me to call. I was informed by the Mrs. that the baby she was carrying within her was arriving that day and soon. We were just told two days earlier that it looked like the baby would be two weeks late.  I really did not panic at All. the roads were slippery and I had to drive slowly. I was going through all we were told about the first baby and that we probably had hours and hours of labor time ahead of us. So what's the rush??? 

I arrived home to see that we really had to get going. I showered quickly to get the rabbit fur and blood off of me, much to the disdain of my wife. We headed for the hospital and guess what? We were turned away because they were too full in the labor and delivery area. They assured us that we had time to get to the next hospital about thirty minutes away and that the would be waiting for us. Man were they wrong! Well that was one slippery ride with the snow and the screaming woman next to me didn't help things as I navigated the roads. 

Once we arrived  to the hospital and they whisked the Mrs. away I settled in to watch a football game in the waiting area. I just poured myself a bad cup of hospital coffee and wondered how things were going. I was preparing for the long haul. Just then the swinging doors opened and I was told that if I wanted to be there for the birth I had to move and move quickly. It was a few minutes later that our bundle of joy cried out after a slap on her bottom and we were blessed to welcome her into the world and I was now a dad. 

Revelation 3:20 Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with Me.

My point other than to relive a great day in my mind is also to share my thoughts on the birth of Jesus. His parents were traveling to take part in a census. They had to travel to Bethlehem by donkey. Mary the mother of Jesus needed a place to stay and deliver her child. They were refused  places to stay because everything was filled up. NO Vacancy would be the term used today and now hospitals can't refuse to take you in despite being full. Jesus was coming to save the world and he started his life in a stable. He died on the cross for the sins of the world. His parents searched for a place to stay. Although Jesus is now in heaven, He still searches for places to stay. He looks to find homes and reside in the hearts of mankind. Is your no vacancy sign up? Is your heart filled with the things of the world? Can you find room for the Savior to make a home within your heart? It is the best Christmas present you could give yourself. That little daughter of ours stole my heart away. Jesus just wants you to share yours with Him.

Love to all.

 Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment