Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Over The Hump 6/19/2019

Good Morning,

Prayer, Door County Mocha Mint Coffee and an English Muffin with fresh butter just started off my day in a great way.



Wednesday has been nicknamed "Hump Day". Meaning that once you get beyond Wednesday you are over the hump and headed toward the weekend. My Wednesday will be busy as usual and I have a meeting at church tonight with our mission team. On Monday I volunteered at a Custard Stand to help our mission team raise some money for their trip to Puerto Rico. My  job was to hold the door open when people arrived to the Custard Emporium and when they left. I was to give them a friendly welcome, a hearty thank you and good bye when they left.

Matthew 25:35 English Standard Version (ESV)
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

Now me being a shy person I had to get out of my comfort zone to accomplish this. Just kidding, I am anything but shy and this task was in my wheel house of skills. One lady approached the door with her son and I noticed that he had several special needs and that his mom struggled just to get him into the eatery. He did not want to enter and was resisting intently. I asked her if I could stay with him while she purchased dinner. She put him back in the car and told him that I was his friend and he should stay in the car. While I was standing outside of her car he would wave to me and I would wave back. I made sure I was smiling back at him and then he would smile and wave to me. We never spoke a word. But there was a bond for ten minutes. Mom returned and thanked me. I asked her if I could pray right there for her and her son. She smiled and said a loud YES PLEASE!.  When we finished praying she said good bye. She told me to look over at her son. He was holding out two French Fries for me. He wanted to share his dinner. I took them and said thank you. He smiled and waved. I did the same.  For s short time in our lives there was nothing wrong. I wasn't old. He wasn't special needs. There were no wars or political arguments. It was just two guys being friendly sharing a moment and a couple of fries.  I won't forget that evening.

Can you get over the hump of differences and invest in a moment? My moment with this family was priceless. Someone needs a smile and a wave. You just might enjoy two fries.

God Bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment