Monday, June 24, 2019

Ever Been Confused? 6/24/2019

Good Morning,

My Mug was just filled with Door County Dark Voyage Coffee and I just sliced some Cherry Bread for my breakfast. My wife made one fine loaf of bread and this breakfast is fit for a king.



Not long ago I was in a public place and saw a young lady coming for the door I was standing near. Her arms were filled with two boxes that looked to be a little heavy. As she approached the door I stepped over and opened the door for her. The answer I  received was just what I deserved I guess.

"Sir, you just assumed that I wanted help with the door. I am fully capable of opening my own doors and don't need assistance from anyone. Maybe you should ask before assuming." I apologized for my rudeness and made a mental note to correct my behavior before I opened a door for someone the next time.

Low and behold that same day, at the same door an older lady was approaching the door and she had a cane in her hand. She seemed to rely on the cane so before she reached the door I asked her if I could open the door for her. Her answer I guess is what I deserved. "Son. ( That was the nicest thing I was called that day.) It seems quite odd that you would ask to open a door for me when you can see that I am using a cane and I am struggling some. It is your manly duty or job to open doors for the ladies and I am insulted that you don't know enough to do it. Look up gentleman and see the definition." Wow, what a verbal mugging. I was two for two.

Now I was getting confused and within the hour I was back at that same door when a woman approached it. She was about 35 years old. Not 20 or 80. She was in between. As she approached the door carrying her back pack I asked if I could get the door for her. I was ready with my apology. I wasn't sure what would happen. She smiled and said "yes please." And then she added a thank you with "have a nice day". Now talk about confused. Three women, three different responses. But to be honest I am a little gun shy about pulling a door open for anyone now.

Neither of the first two ladies answered me with a less than a sharp tongue. Those two had me questioning my mother's ability to teach us kids her version of etiquette. I know she couldn't hear me in heaven when I said sarcastically "Thanks Mother".

My point is this. Shouldn't we just accept kindness and be nice about it? I sure would hate to be waiting on the table in a restaurant where the first two would be sitting wanting service.

Here's God answer about our mouths in action.  Proverbs 11:17 “Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.” Proverbs 15: 1 “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but hard words stir up anger.” Proverbs 15:4 “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.”

To open a door or not open a door today. That is the question. I am in favor of still showing respect and kindness despite receiving a tongue lashing in return.

Have a great day!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment