Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Nothing Like A Chunky Bar 6/25/2019

Good Morning,

Tuesday arrived as it should right after Monday. My Tuesday cup of coffee is Door County German Chocolate Cake. I do hope that today has some sunshine along the way.



Today if my parents were still alive they would be celebrating their 64th wedding anniversary. We would definitely be visiting with them and joining their celebration.

I remember always wanting to play football for my grade school and my first attempt at trying out for the team was not too successful. I was told that if a uniform became available I would be in line for one. Basically it was "Don't call us. We will call you". At that time I wasn't too quick or fast. Both items are really different. Quick feet and hands get you going, speed within your legs kept you going faster than others. I needed to work on both. I went back home discouraged and my dad got on my case about quitting. I explained that I didn't quit, "they quit on me". He told me to get running and then learn how to polka. My mother would play the music and I would hop around like a rhythm less idiot. But it paid off. I began stretching out when I ran and somehow they invited me back to be on the team. One grade later and I was playing with the best of them. One night after a win my dad stopped for gasoline and he came back with candy bars, one for each of us. They were "Chunky Bars". It was a celebration of me not quitting and a great game. I will never forget that night.

Ecclesiastes 3:4 English Standard Version (ESV)
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Friends, do we celebrate with our kids for giving the extra effort and not quitting? Do we spend time teaching them to be quick and then celebrating when they accomplish the goal? Will they grow old and remember their "Chunky Bar Award"? I hope so. We are so busy these days that we forget to take time to celebrate with others.

Food for thought.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment